Unlock Background Report
New Cingular Wireless PCS LLC - DC Wireless in EASTERN MASSACHUSETS, MA
Reported between 11/30/2006 and 1/1/2023
(978) Area Code - Information:
The 978 area code is a telephone area code in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) for the northeastern part of Massachusetts. It was created on May 2, 2001, as a split from the 508 area code. The 978 area code covers most of Essex County and Middlesex County, including the cities of Lawrence, Lowell, Haverhill, Gloucester, Salem, and Newburyport.
(978) Area Code - Industries:The 978 area code is home to many industries that are important to the local economy. These include manufacturing, technology, healthcare, education, finance and insurance services. The region is also known for its seafood industry with many fishing boats operating out of Gloucester Harbor. Additionally, there are several universities and colleges located within the 978 area code such as University of Massachusetts Lowell and Merrimack College.
(978) Area Code - Universities & Colleges:The 978 area code is home to several large universities and colleges including University of Massachusetts Lowell (UML), Merrimack College, Salem State University (SSU), Endicott College and Northern Essex Community College (NECC). UML offers over 120 undergraduate programs in areas such as engineering, business administration and computer science. Merrimack College has an enrollment of over 3200 students offering degrees in fields such as nursing, psychology and criminal justice. SSU offers more than 60 undergraduate majors along with graduate programs in education and social work. Endicott College provides students with a liberal arts education while NECC offers associate degree programs in areas like accounting and hospitality management.
(978) Area Code - Unique Facts:The 978 area code is home to some unique facts that make it stand out from other regions in Massachusetts. For example, it is one of only two area codes in the state that does not have any overlays or splits; the other being 508 which covers much of southeastern Massachusetts. Additionally, it is home to America’s oldest seaport – Gloucester Harbor – which has been active since 1623 when it was first settled by English colonists.
(978) Area Code - Famous People:The 978 area code has produced some famous people who have made their mark on history both nationally and internationally. These include former President George H W Bush who was born in Milton; actor Mark Wahlberg who grew up in Dorchester; singer-songwriter James Taylor who was born in Boston; author Stephen King who grew up in Bangor; actress Amy Poehler who attended Boston College; comedian Conan O’Brien who graduated from Harvard University; musician John Mayer who attended Berklee College of Music; actor Matt Damon who grew up in Cambridge; singer-songwriter Carly Simon who was born in Newton; actor Ben Affleck who grew up in Cambridge; actress Julianne Moore who attended Boston University; musician Don Henley who attended Northeastern University; actor Chris Evans who grew up in Sudbury; actress Uma Thurman who attended Amherst College; actor Leonard Nimoy who grew up in Westwood; actress Gwyneth Paltrow who attended Harvard University; singer-songwriter Carole King whose family moved to Lawrence when she was young; actor Robert De Niro whose family moved to Cambridge when he was young; actress Sandra Bullock whose family moved to Arlington when she was young; singer-songwriter Bruce Springsteen whose family moved to Freehold when he was young ;and rapper Eminem whose family moved to Warren when he was young .
(978) Area Code - Tourist Attractions:The 978 area code has many tourist attractions that draw visitors from all over the world each year.
(978) Area Code - Cities Covered:
The 978 area code covers the cities Beverly, Chelmsford, Danvers, Fitchburg, Gardner, Gloucester, Haverhill, Lawrence, Leominster, Lowell, Methuen, Peabody, Salem and Wilmington in the Counties of Essex, Middlesex and Worcester.
(978) Area Code - Popular Prefixes: